Saturday 1 January 2011

A Disappointing Buy...

How disappointing is it when you buy a product that just doesn't live up to your expectations...

After reading some really positive reviews about L'oreal Volume Million Lashes, I picked it up from Superdrug last week. I got the extra black version and I checked out the wand and thought it looked really great.


The first thing I noticed was the smell, as soon as I held it up to my face ready to apply I could smell an awful chemical stench. Not pleasant, but if it gave me beautifully voluptuous lashes I would be willing to put up with the smell for a minute until it dried. However I was somewhat disenchanted to discover it didn't do much...
The mascara was really easy to apply, I really do like the wand as it's so smooth. My lashes were very black, yes, and they were very separated. But not the voluminous lashes I'd hoped for. The formulation is very wet and smudged when I blinked. Not great. The worst part however, was that my eyes stung/watered like hell from that chemical smell. I just wanted to take it straight back off. And I did. Yeuch.

I was really shocked to discover this as I normally really love L'oreal products, and even my own Mum raves about this mascara. When I asked her she said it didn't make her eyes water but I do not consider myself to have sensitive eyes and haven't experienced this from any other mascaras. Could I have just gotten a bad one? Have any of you guys tried this and what do you think?


So all in all, it's a thumbs down from me.

x.x.x

7 comments:

  1. I got the original volume million lashes mascara & hate it. I agree with what you think - gives good definition but doesn't create long luscious lashes. Also its spikey brush is lethal & on more than one occasion I've almost been blinded when using it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never tried this...it was on my 2 buy list so might take it off now :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review :)

    I haven't tried this one, but its always interested me, I will stay away from it now, thanks for sharing.

    I was using Maybelines The Falsies which I really liked, but after a few uses its started to flake and iritate my eyes.

    I've been using Collection 2000 Big Fake Lash Mascara which I'm really loving, I'll be doing a review soon, its great and cheap so double bonus :)

    I'm hosting a giveaway if your interested

    http://plymouthbarbie.blogspot.com/2011/01/csn-stores-35-voucher-giveway.html

    Love Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this yesterday and found that it is a bit more wetter than the original version so you have to be very careful when blinking after applying it. Have you tried the original version as I love it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried this yet but probably won't after this review. I hate when mascara is so wet that it ends up smudging whenever you close your eyes.
    I don't know if you can get it where you live, but if you get a chance, you should try Buxom Macara...similar wand but it really works to lengthen the lashes and does not clump or smudge at all.
    xx
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya - i'm a new follower :)
    I actually hate this mascara, it's so difficult to get a good one without paying a fortune bu mascara is something i really try not to spend too much on!! Have you ever tried MaxFactor False Lash Effect? I really cannot go past it after trying so many other 'drugstore' mascaras. It gives great volume and will hold lashes in place after curling. The only downside is it can be difficult to remove, but if you use a decent eye makeup remover or cleansing oil then i will come off! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. @hennesy nope I've not tried the original one, I might be a bit apprehhensive now. Does that have the same smell?

    @funnyfacebeauty yep there's nothing worse than a smudgey mascara. I've only heard about buxom on your blog, may need to see if I can get a hold of it.

    @jo I think this will bw the next one on my list to try ;) I'm heading out today so may pick it up.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for leaving a comment on my post. I enjoy reading every single one of them and I promise i'll get back to you if you ask a question xxx